Holiday Resources: Thanksgiving Favorites


With so many holidays in such a short amount of time, finding the right resources for your students can be a challenge. In this series of posts I'll be compiling lists of resources you can use right away in your lessons and at home.

Christmas is everywhere this time of year. Walk into any store and you're bombarded with red and green decorations, cinnamon brooms, and gigantic blowup Santas.

Before you think me a Scrooge, I will say that I LOVE Christmas with every fiber of my being. But Christmas is at the end of December and there's another holiday just a little over a week away that I also love.

Yes, I love Thanksgiving.

One of the main things I love about Thanksgiving is that it hasn't been commercialized to death...granted Black Friday has been trying to creep it's way in the last few years...but it is still all about family, friends, and above all thankfulness for all the many blessings we have.

Today I'd share a few of my favorite Thanksgiving piano activities, music, and of course recipes.

 

Piano Activities


Susan Paradis (SusanParadis.com) has a plethora of Thanksgiving themed games, activities, and worksheets. My personal favorite is Color Mr. Turkey

Andrea and Trevor over at TeachPianoToday.com have a great Save the Turkey practice tool.

 

Music


Wendy Stevens of ComposeCreate.com has composed a beautiful elementary piano piece called A Thanksgiving Prayer. It's available for purchase as a single use or studio license for this digital download.

Kristin over at EarTrainingAndImprov.com has a cute composition activity that gets kids thinking about what they're thankful for.

 

Recipes


Pineapple Lime Cranberry Sauce

I came across this recipe several years ago in an old Country Home magazine and it has been a perennial hit. It also bakes nicely into cupcakes. Yum!


Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs

Not everyone is a turkey person. This slow cooker recipe can be made as written to create a beautiful standalone meal or you can eliminate the veggies, add a few more chicken thighs and you have a non-turkey meat option for your guests.



Comments