What Do You Do When Your Student's Lesson Day Is Their Birthday?

For the first time in my private teaching career I have a student coming in for their lesson on their birthday! And it's not just one student...it's TWO! This Week! Can you believe it?

If you haven't noticed, I'm really excited.

I love birthdays...I love celebrations...I love lessons! It's gonna be a great week!




I have a few things planned, but for the most part my students will be able to choose how they spend their lesson time.

I know, I know this can be dangerous territory, but take a moment and try to remember the excitement over your birthday when you were a kid.

My birthday is in mid-April, which means that more than half the time I didn't have school on my birthday because of spring break. Nowadays, I'd love to have my birthday off, but as a child it was wonderful being able to share my birthday with my friends and teachers.

I loved having a class party.

I loved wearing the cool birthday crown/hat/tiara.

I loved having my mom bring in a homemade cake. (to this day, she makes the best birthday cakes)

I loved the special recognition that this was my day.

There was still classwork and homework, but for one day I felt like the superstar of the classroom and I want my students to have the same feeling.

So yes, my birthday students will still have to play their pieces and complete their theory assignments, but we will also have a great time celebrating them!

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Do you do anything special for your students when their birthday and lesson day coincide? Let me know in the comments below!

Comments