Realities of Business Ownership

Today's post is brimming with "supposed to's":

Today's post was supposed to be about a new teaching technique.

Today's post was supposed to take much less time to write.

Today's post was supposed to happen yesterday.

Setting aside what today's post was supposed to be, I'd like to share what today's post is: Realities of owning a music school.




Reality #1: Sometimes life happens. 


You wake up Wednesday morning and realize that while you've stayed on top of your lesson plans, social media posts, new registrations, and communications with your teachers; your blog post has patiently sat in the background waiting for you to finish writing and schedule it's publishing time for Tuesday morning.

Yep, that didn't happen.


Reality #2: Keeping your personal relationships healthy is more important than ever.


I am so very blessed to have my boyfriend in my life. He is the reason my dream of owning a multi-teacher music school is a reality.

There are some days I worry that I'm neglecting our relationship.

My primary focus is the academy, it has to be. And even though I know that he knows and expects that to be my focus right now, sometimes I just can't shake the feeling.

Here's the great thing about him....he wants this just as much as I do.

He is willing to make just as many sacrifices as I am to get this business off the ground and build it into a thriving community. And when I feel like we need some us time, he's right there for that as well!


Reality #3: There's a lot more to do when it's more than just you.


Autumn, September specifically, has always been a busy month for me.

It's the beginning of my calendar year, so in addition to my regular lesson planning I'm also setting up new incentive programs, getting recital dates & locations squared away, researching new pieces for my students, printing and laminating all of the games & activities that I've been gathering, setting up new bulletin boards, and so on.

September also seems to be the month when everyone wants to sign up for lessons.

These are all things that a piano teacher does on a regular basis. When it was just me, it was easy. Now that it's me and 2 (maybe soon to be 3!) other teachers, it's very different.

I'm still getting used to the new responsibilities my role of owner involves and I'm loving every new opportunity, but sometimes I might have a "supposed to" week. So thank you for bearing with me while I adjust to this new way of life.


             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What are your realities of business ownership? Is there anything you wish you knew before venturing off into the world of entrepreneurship?

Comments