Piano Diva....where's your line?

When most people hear the word diva they think of a strong, big-voiced female singer who is always demanding of those around her.

But...have you ever heard of a piano diva? The first time I saw this phrase was in Erica Sipes' blog Beyond the Notes. A few weeks ago, she posted a great reflection on why one might need to be a piano diva now and again. In this post, she offers the following definition of a piano diva:


"A pianist who demands that attention be paid to his or her needs,
especially without regard to anyone else's needs or feelings."


I have to admit, she really got me thinking about my own inner diva as a pianist, an organist, a congregational leader, and a choir director.




Because most of my performances are as an accompanist or congregation leader, I try to be a low maintenance performer. For the most part my flexibility has worked out well for me, but sometimes I feel like I'm viewed as a machine instead of a musician.

The piano for your wedding hasn't been tuned in 3 years? - No problem.
 
One of the black keys is broken off? - I'll work around it. (ugh, all my pieces have 3 or more accidentals)


You need me to sight transpose because last night you went to a concert, screamed your brains out, and can't reach the high F today? - Uhmm, okay. (crap crap crap)

You want me to play this one piece on the piano at the alter, go to the organ upstairs at the back of the sanctuary during the prayer to play the next hymn then come right back to the piano for your candle lighting ceremony? -  Sure, I could use a good workout.

Yes, these are all true stories...and that last question is exactly how I worded it to a bride, though my response to her excited yes wasn't as cheeky (I don't think she realized how unreasonable her request was).

Fortunately, I haven't reached my breaking point, but who knows where that line is...

Do you have any stories of unreasonable requests on your talents? Have you ever had your inner piano diva emerge? Where's your line?


Comments