Music Symbol of the Week

I started my career as an elementary band director. A far cry off from where I am today, but not far off from where I wanted to be (or so I thought).

Sadly, those first two years of teaching in public schools were the only two really good years for me. This is not at all a reflection on my students or the programs. When I graduated, schools were at the beginning of their difficult times and music and art teachers were bearing the brunt of it. Needless to say, I got out.

One of the things I took away from that experience was how much kids benefit from little snippets of information combined with instant gratification.

We all know how long it takes to get to the point in learning an instrument where you can make music that's fun and recognizable. To encourage my students along the way, I decided to start posting a "Music Question of the Week" on my white board. Students would come in for their lesson and get a piece of candy (something I hear you can't do anymore) for knowing the answer.

I've altered this for the academy to "Music Symbol of the Week". It works the same way as
the question, but is a little more focused on music symbols rather than general knowledge.


You can find the latest symbol on our Instagram page!

Comments