iPad Summer

How do you use the iPad during piano lessons? I tend to use it as reinforcement for new concepts/skills or as a kind of reward.

Having an iPad has given me so many more options as a piano teacher. This summer I'm trying to us it to the fullest. As mentioned in my bingo post, summer is different for all of us. And if summer is different, why shouldn't piano lessons be different?

My students needs seem to fit 3 paths:

1. Reinforcement:
Some of my students, particularly the younger ones, need a little extra help with note and rhythm reading as well as ear training. Since summer is a great time to break away from their books and give them something new, why not use technology?


We're using apps like Note Squish, Treble Cat, Bass Cat, Blob Chorus, Music for Little Mozarts, & NoteWorks.


2. No time to practice:
If you thought the beginning and end of the school year was busy, wait til you hear the summer schedule for some of my students:
They start at a full day camp, followed by sports (game or practice), then its home for dinner, promptly followed by bedtime. Lather, rinse, repeat - all summer long.

Now I know they get a break from running around over the weekend, but sometimes that's the only time the whole family is together. While I don't have kids of my own, I know I would rather spend time doing things as a family than making them sit at the piano alone.

For these students my goal is to keep them playing so they can retain as much as possible. Then in the fall we can pick right up again as if no time passed.

I primarily use Piano Maestro by JoyTunes for these students, but will also throw in a few board games to mix it up. If you haven't heard of Piano Maestro, I highly recommend you check it out. The app is free for teachers and students who are connected to a teacher account.

 3. Sight-reading:
Several are taking this summer to focus on their sight-reading skills (their idea not mine woohoo!) We use Piano Maestro for their in-lesson sight reading and I send them home with a different book to sight read from each week.

Beyond that we have been using flashcard apps to hone their note reading and board games to keep other concepts fresh.


There are so many new apps coming out all the time, sometimes it feels difficult to keep up. The nice thing is you never have to do the same thing twice...unless you really want to :)

Comments